Tuesday 4 March 2014

Embellished Face Cabochons

I've been working on something new lately and have just got the first few finished.  A friend asked me if I could make her some polymer clay face cabochons, but turned to the side instead of straight on.  I found a mould that had a face in profile and, when it came, I made one face but realised it would be too big and the wrong shape for what I needed so I adapted it and cured it, then made my own mould from two-part silicone.

Using my mould gives me a basic shape to work with and from there I embellish the face with all sorts of small bits and pieces to give it character, then cut around the edges and cure it in the oven.  Once cooled, the details are painted on and allowed to dry, then they are varnished on the front to give them some protection and keep all the colours nice.

What do you think?


 



Each one takes around 3 hours to make so they are quite time consuming but worth the effort.  These ones are destined for my friend but hopefully I will be selling some through my Etsy store soon.  If you have any ideas for decoration/themes please let me know.  If I get enough suggestions before the end of next week (15 March) I will do a draw and the winner will get their idea made up for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment